Thursday, July 24, 2008

Weekend at Bernies...I mean...GRANDPA ROBRAN'S!!

In an effort to break her of her attachment to M-O-M, Leah will be spending Saturday and Sunday at Grandpa and Grandma Robran's farm. Will she warm up to Grandpa? Will she come home unscathed? Will she eat more than just ice cream and Cheerios? God only knows. We can just pray that she gets along with Grandpa, otherwise it could be a long weekend.

Grandparents are a funny creature. They know full well what is good for the kid, but they go against better judgement and do something just the opposite. Like naps. 'Ah, the kid doesn't need a nap, back in my day..' Blah Blah Blah. Back in their day they told us to nap every hour on the hour. Their craziness either comes from one of two places - either they could care less how crabby the child is when they send them home because she's not THEIR kid, or...they truly ARE crazy. My money is on the latter.

Now before any of you grandparents get all pissed off and scratch me off your Christmas list(by the way a new St. Croix rod would be nice), keep in mind I'm just making generalizations here (I was actually talking about the OTHER grandparents *wink* *wink*). When they become 'grand' parents, they seem to graduate to a level above the lowly 'parent' and are now considered 'EXPERTS' in the field of child rearing. Had you or your siblings not had a child, they would have no one to exert their vast amount of parenting knowledge on, making them just 'parents' and subject to the ridicule of THEIR parents. Therefore, by you having a kid, the monkey is now off their back since they have proven they can produce offspring that are capable of procreating. The torch has been passed, and a tradition continues. I've already determined that when I'm a grandparent, I'm going to be the nuttiest SOB on this side of the Mississippi..."Hey kids, ever have a whiskey sour?" "Let me show you how to make napalm out of a marshmallow..." and so forth.

Regardless of the craziness that will ensue on the Robran farm, Leah will undoubtedly have a blast. She's looking forward to playing with cousin Allie and getting dirty in Grandma's flower garden. Maybe Grandpa can con her into going for a ride on the tractor - who knows what's in store. All I know is the Kimmer and I get a weekend of peace and quite, which will probably be filled with conversation about how much Kim misses Leah. So my hope is that Kim makes it through the weekend, Leah comes home alive, and we all get along in the end.

No comments: